Tales Mania

Author Topic: Where Bobdude Watchs MLP Tales  (Read 11394 times)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: Where Bobdude Watchs MLP Tales
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 12:51:03 am »
Oh my. Though I look forward to Tales fics even more, I'm very nervousited.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 01:14:44 am »
Should be pretty good, knock wood.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 01:19:33 am »
Is that a reference I don't get, or are you just rhyming?

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 10:27:42 pm »
I was just sitting here trying to figure out how to explain the whole "knock on wood" thing, but my brain is out for the day I guess. Basically when you say something good that's happened (or you want to happen) you are supposed to knock on wood so you don't jinx it? Wow, someone else out there must have a better explanation than that, right? We can only hope. ;)

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:24 am »
Basically what Teddy said Notes. Also, I have good news, I have finished my Vinyl Scratch inflation fic! Still needs to be edited the hell out of mind you, but it's finished and that's the important part. Also, expect an update of the next Tales review sometime tonight (number six I shall conquer you!).

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 01:33:37 am »
Next Tales review?! Great Lemonade Stand Wars, or Tea Party?!

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 01:33:59 am »
And I could help you out with your fic, if you, heh, want.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:14 am »
If you insist  ;) Also, have an update

MLP Review 5

Either rev up your Delorian or phone booth made from a giant crystal from the future, because we're traveling back to that magical year of 1992 where we have the return of the writing team of Kayte Kuch and Sheryl Scarborough, for the 5th episode of My Little Pony Tales, Stand By Me.

Our episode opens on the playground, with pony's playing (Ace is jump roping for whatever reason), and we get a close up of what I can only assume the guy 90's version of Rarity would be before moving over to our cast of heroines, who are all standing around looking impressed at something. It seems that Melody is showing off her cutting edge mobile music player... a cassette deck.

Ah, the years before I-tunes, and downloading stuff for free off of youtube. (glances around with shifty eyes and starts to whistle) Melody, contrary to what you may think, four buttons are not anywhere near a 'gazillian', even if that was a real number, which is isn't. Either way she seems to hit the 'destroy cassette button' (I can only assume the pony who thought that one up is a homeless bum on the streets by now), which winds up messing her tape in the process and we hear a male boy pony laughing in amusement at this musical mishap (fear me for I am Stan Lee reborn!).

It's here that we're introduced to Teddy, one of the reoccurring male boy ponies of the show, a dark blue pony with a bright orange Mohawk and a comb for a hip symbol. Dude also rocks a nice pair of early 90s shades. Teddy, in a lot of ways, reminds me of the Bronies who hate the past Pony generations but love G4, the kind who are almost embarrassed to admit that they watch a little girls cartoon and feel like that have to assert their manliness or some such nonsense. Would explain stuff like Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory if nothing else.

Much like these type of Bronies, Teddy acts like a poor pony's Fonze, but is secretly more sensitive and caring then he lets on but doesn't want to let other ponies know it (reputation and all that to uphold). Though given that Tony Sampson goes on to voice Eddy from Ed Ed n Eddy Teddy's jerk-like behavior makes a strange amount of retroactive sense.

Anyways, we get this bit of wit from Mr. Teddy: “The Dodo hit the dumb dumb button!”

…. Kid, are you even TRYING? I mean come on dude, Fluttershy could think of a better insult then that!

Either way it seems that Melody doesn't take kindly to Teddy's pathetic insults or mocking laughter, and laments that she might have just wrecked her new tape recorder. Teddy then proceeds to snatch it in a somewhat awkward looking hoof position.

Melody orders him to give it back, but Teddy insists that he knows what he's doing (ah, the typical male mind at work, no matter how out of our depth we are we'll never ask for directions, well, I will but I'm not a macho moron) and proceeds to press more buttons... and ruins the tape even further (seriously where the heck in the eject button on this thing, or the manual for that matter?) Teddy blames Melody and proceeds to shove the machine back into her hooves. Melody comments that if the tape player wasn't ruined before, then it is now. (kinda hard to argue with that logic, though if a bunch of... tenish year olds can't figure out how to work your device then I think the problem is less with them and more with the machine itself)

Melody sets the player down on a nearby wood table and Sweetheart walks over, remarking that Teddy was only trying to help. That's... a very optimistic way of looking at what just happened Sweetheart. Patch remarks that she saw otherwise, and the rest of the girls grumble in agreement.

Sweetheart then trots over to Teddy, who kicks a nearby trashcan in frustration. Why am I getting a sort of GTA protag feeling from this kid? Anyways, Sweetheart suggests that it might be best to apologize to Melody, but Teddy refuses, insisting that he's not a geek and storms off.

Guess that was the 92 version of egghead or something. Also get the feeling that Teddy and Gilda the Griffon would get along pretty well for some odd reason... Sweetheart decides to stay behind to pick up the trash that was knocked over by Teddy. We're then introduced to an old, middle aged dark blue pony by the name of Mr. Tidwell, who's the school's janitor.

Mr. Tidwell asks if that was Teddy causing trouble like he apparently has done in the past, but Sweetheart says that it was an accident (of anger maybe). Mr. Tidwell begins to compliment Sweetheart's responsible nature, but the school bell starts ringing and Sweetheart trots off to class, but not before we see a dark blue hoof snatch away Melody's possibly broken music machine off the table.

What? Add in your own dun dun dun! Effect people, I can't play everything straight around here.

We cut to Mrs. Hackney's class as the Coltenville Mane Seven rummage around in a box of mystery. Don't bother girls, the lot of Lost, the X files, and Twins Peak might seem tempting with their mysterious mystery of vagueness, but none of the writers on those shows never seem to bother to plan out just what the answer to those big questions their shows are based on actuality are, and the answers just wind up to be disappointing in the end (just like the ending to most Stephen King novel, heyoh!).

Moving on, Mrs. Hackney asks if the class can guess what their lesson for the week will be, and Starlight (picking out a black robe and wig) joking suggests a fashion show. Patch, who is holding a small wood hammer in her hooves, instead says their going to play a game of crocay, swinging and nearly taking poor Bon Bon's head off in the process.

Mrs. Hackney then up and reveals that their going to be studying pony courtroom procedure, complete with a fake trail and everything. It's at this point that Melody realizes that her music box thing is missing, searching around the room before glancing outside a window at the table where she had set it, and seeing that it's vanished in thin air. Also feel like noting just how freaking pink this school is both on the inside and outside. I just know that if Equestria Cheerilee wound up here she'd be asking why the entire school was decorated for Hearts and Hooves day.

It's at this point that Teddy enters the room with some most heinously ominous background music. Seriously, I flipping adore the bgm in Tales. It's cheesy as all hell, but that's part of the charm and part of why I like it as much as I do.

Melody instantly walks up and confronts Teddy, who comes up with the decent if cliche reply of “Search me.” Well, it's better than the “The Dodo hit the dumb dumb button!”, keep working at it kid.

Melody replies that she doesn’t have to, pointing to the bit of cassette tap stuck to the back of one of Teddy's hooves. It's at this point that the class rumor mill starts working up, with Starlight turning to Mrs. Hackney and asking if they can't use their pony courtroom lesson to find out of Teddy did swipe the recorder or not (Teddy is horrified at this prospect).

Mrs. Hackney: A splendid idea! Learn by doing has always been my motto! Which is why I allowed both my history and science professors to follow me home to my grandfather's stolen spaceship/time machine in a nearby junkyard, so I could SHOW them the cavepony era, or the Aztecs, or-

… My bad, got my headcanon/fanfic Mrs. Hackney confused with the real one there. Sorry.

Anyways, Mrs. Hackney comments that because Starlight is such an even hoofed pony (yes, even hoofed, I'm as amazed as you guys are that it isn't even handed) that she should be the judge, while Bright Eyes should be the prosecutor, at which Clover (no doubt a stand in for the audience here) asks what one of those are (a prosecutor that is). Mrs. Hackney says that it's Bright Eyes job to prove that Teddy did the crime, at which she then asks that someone will have to defend Teddy.

Most of the Coltenville seven glance at one another before taking a few steps back, and looking around and seeing that no one else wants to take the Teddy burden, speaks up and says that she'll do it. Small aside I love the determined look on Sweetheart's face before she speaks up here. You can practically read her mind: Alright, if none of you jerks are going to do, then I will!

Mrs. Hackney proceeds to give everyone else the job of jury and says that if Teddy if found guilty that he'll be suspended for three days (so pretty serious for the short term but nothing major for the long term. Makes sense for a ten minute episode). And for whatever reason Teddy's expression changes from worried to annoyed/angry when Mrs. Hackney is talking, and then in the next shot we see him he's worried looking again.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:51:15 pm by Bob-dude »

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:30 pm »
Love it! Can't wait for your comments on Bon Bon in all of her glory, and the characters' choices of costumes. ;)

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »
Thanks Teddy, anything in particular you loved about it? And the Masquerade review is, I think, one of my best (and personal) reviews to date. Thankfully I think the jokes work pretty well in the later reviews, so expect it up later some time tonight.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:18 pm »
Yeah; I can personally attest to The Masquerade being a great review. Great points abound.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:30 pm »
MLPT review 6
Episode 6, the Tea Party, once again written by the good Mr. George Bloom, who I have to admit have had a pretty strong showing so far and seems to be a personal favorite of mine among the three writers seen thus far.

Anyways, our episode begins with Sweetheart and Bon Bon walking towards a very old, run down looking house. 

Though honestly aside from time and weather having taken it's toll on the place, it's not that bad looking, I mean it looks to be what, two or three floors, has a chimney on the width side of it, a small extension thing on the other width side, one of those covered big open porch deals, and some railing on the roof, which I can only assume hints at open roof access? So either way outside of the condition of the place, this house is pretty impressive, though now that I think about it I think mini-mansion would be more accurate judging by the size of the thing.

But enough about the house, we don't come to MLP for houses (though I will add that I did like some of the homes that the core seven had in G3), we come for the ponies.

And speaking of ponies, both Sweetheart and Bon Bon head around to the back of the house to enter from a different door, don't know why they don't just use the front door, but then again I'm neither Bon Bon nor Sweetheart.

Anyhoo, Bon Bon reaches into the bag that's wrapped around her neck (I will note that the bag doesn't SEEM to be a saddle, which makes sense given the lack of humans in this universe, always did wonder why those things existed in Equestria, but moving on) and pulls out a circular looking biscuit roll thingy, which she sniffs some before eating (Bon Bon's sniffing animation here is pretty amusing).

Sweetheart scolds Bon Bon, saying that those are for everyone, but Bon Bon brushes it off, saying that she made enough for everyone. You know Sweetheart, given that Bon DID make those things by her own hoof (excluding any possible help from her mother) I think that the Big Beautful Pony in the making is entitled to at least ONE biscuit roll thingy, don't you?

Either way, Sweetheart opens the screen door (the regular door has two holes above and blow it), allowing Bon Bon to go ahead of her, which she does at a gallop (complete with the clip clop of hooves no less!) but not before giving thanks (politeness, yay!) to Sweetheart, with the white mare following after. 

We then cut to some (what I can only assume to be) short time later with all the girls now present in the ancient home. Bright Eyes remarks to Patch that if this place had electricity, that their tea could be hot and Patch remarks in a bemused tone that she's working on it (This explains that one Tales comic where Patch invented a boat that helped save Teddy from drowning, strangely enough I can totally see Patch learning engineering and the like just to improve her pranks or invent things to make her life less dull).

Bon Bon then puts on airs and asks if she could have a drop of cream for her tea, only for Clover to drop the whole bowl into Bon's cup, splashing some on her (Bon Bon that is) in the process.

Clover: You asked for a drop.

Oh snap, someone's brought their sass with them today!

Starlight, being the Twilight of the group (IE, their leader) proceeds to get everyone's attention by tapping her cup with a spoon. And no I don't know WHY their cups have handles clearly made for finger either, if Equestria can have boots made for human feet, then the Tales ponies can have this stuff.

Starlight then says that the topic for today's tea party is whether or not BOYS should be allowed into their club or not. The group protests (with some amusing animation from Bon Bon, Sweetheart and Clover).

Melody remarks that one of the cardinal rules of their club is that THEY aren't allowed in and Clover agrees, banging the table so hard that she causes the lumpy looking biscuit roll thingies to go flying everywhere. The sass gods were not amused by your use of the sass Clover Bloom, and shall continue to punish thee throughout the rest of the episode. (laughs evilly)

Bright Eyes, being the Wind Whistler of the group, points out that they're want to be fair, otherwise they'll be accused of being prejudiced. Sweetheart (no doubt a stand in for the audience) asks what the word means, and after Bright Eyes explains that it means having an opinion without having all the facts (just like some bronies view of the past generations! Boom!) and Sweetheart remarks that they won't want that, Bright then proposes, like a good potential scientist (Unlike Princess Twilight, who has never calmed nor described herself as one in any episodes of the show, and no Brony fandom, a love of books and checklists do not a scientist make), that they go and do some research!

And thus we get the song for the episode, Boys Boys Boys.

And like I've said before, this is a pretty enjoyable song for what it is. Beats catchy, all the girl's VA do a good job at singing together (thanks G4 Spike!) and I personally get a kick out of how all the girls line up bipedal style on their roller skates (which actually look a bit more hoof shaped then the ones in Equestria do I think) with bedroom eyes and one of their leg and hoof resting on their side all sass-like, my mind being what it is a can't help but think that the girls in that scene are going to do a bit more then just long distance viewing research, if you know what I mean (I mean they look as if their about to get their flirt on son).

As for the song and the subject of the male gender, I think it's pretty even handed. Yes pointing out that boys can be rough and tough and apparently smell like sauerkraut (or at least Ace does, maybe Starlight just really truly likes sauerkraut?) ain't exactly breaking stereotype barriers, but does go point out that guys can be just as sensitive as they can rough and tough.

Incidentally, I love how we get a good number of background male ponies for the song, yet I think the only time some of these dudes reappear in during Roll Around the Clock. Plus I just can't hate a song that says that Acehole smells of sauerkraut, that and the roller skate thing just amuses me to no end.

So the song ends with Startlight saying that after school tomorrow, they'll make their vote. Ah, the wonders of song montage. Small aside here, but I always found it amusing how Twilight was able to become Princess of the Fall Formal by way of an youtube popular cafeteria song, showing that even when their humans, singing in MLP seems to accomplish quite a lot.

Moving on, we cut to the next day, where Patch and Bright Eyes are walking together, with Patch commenting that boys sure make it tough to like them. If you're thinking about about to make a lesbian joke, then shame on you, that would be both horrible stereotypical and very cliche (not that it stops the Brony fandom and Rainbow Dash any ^sighs^).

However their conversion is soon put on hold as they see two white coated, multi colored mane ponies taking away their things from the club house! The male pony remarks that they'll come back later for the rest of the stuff and drive off, leaving a black cloud of smoke in their wake. 

Patch remarks that they have to protect their club house and an emergency meeting of the Coltenville Seven is called. With all the girls back in the cub house, Starlight (being the chairpony of their club and again, basically the Twilight/Wind Whistler of their group) tables for a vote on the boys but Clover points out that the table is gone, at which the rest of the girls let out a shared giggle.

Patch remarks that this is not the time for laughing that their club house has been invaded by thieves. Sweetheart can't help but wonder what the six of them can do, as they are in her words: “just little ponies” can't help but find it interesting how she says that as oppose to saying something like, “We're jut kids,” or “We're just little girls”

Starlight: * in a very dramatic voice* Well I'll tell you what we can do.... Well better yet, I'll tell you what we can't do. We can't ignore the problem, we can't sweep it under the carpet, we can't allow someone to come in here and take our things! Because if we do, when will it stop, where will they go next? Maybe your house Bon Bon, or yours Sweetheat, or your Melody! And before we know it, all of ponyland will be picked clean of everything we own! We can't let that happen, we have to stop them now, no matter the cost! They may take our lives, but they'll never take our club house! And we can't just give up when the going gets tough either! Did the Americans give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?-

Bon Bon: What's an American? Or a Pearl Harbor

Patch: Don't stop her, she's rolling.

Starlight: Well, Neigh, NEIGHT I SAY! THOUGH THE COURAGE OF MARES MAY FAIL ONE NIGHT, TONIGHT WILL NOT BE THAT NIGHT! WE SHALL NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT, WHO IS WITH ME!?

Patch: Yeah, for the firemen!

Okay, okay, so everything past that we have to stop them now bit didn't happen, but I still think that Starlight's VA did a good job with the speech, so big props to Willow Johnson for giving in an especially good performance here, also liked how Starlight has to let out a big exhausted sigh when she finishes her rousing speech.

Clove asks how they'll do it, and Patch then shows off why if she were an Alicorn, she'd be the Princess of Pranks, and all the traps they set up during the next little montage, such as making makeshift slingshots out of the elastic of their napsacks (can't imagine their parents are going to be very happy about that). After Patch leaves to go supervise the others (looks as if Twilight isn't the only mini horse that can get ponies organized ^^) Sweetheart accidentally smacks Bon Bon with a sling, and apparently one of them decides to practice their ventriloquism, as Sweetheart's voice comes out of Bon Bon's mouth.

Ah AKOM animation, really and truly your animation errors know no bounds (still not as bad as Wind Whistler during the Quest of the Princess Ponies though).

Anyways, the rest of their preparations go something like this; doorknob on the front door gets lossened, Clover accidentally whacks her hoof with a hammer (that's what you getting for trying to wield the power of the sass my dear), bag of flour gets hoisted up with rope, scary picture is put in one of the rooms, white goop is put on the floor.... Moving on, a main sling is put at the top the staircase, jam filled projectiles are made, and Clover covers the staircase with some cream from earlier, which she slips and falls on Jar Jar style, getting covered with the stuff in the process.

Sass God 1: Nice.

Sass God 2: I know right? Silly ponies.

With all their Home Alone style traps laid down, they wait until darkness (or at least the sun is very low in the sky as to basically be darkness) and some appropriate bgm come a knocking.

The white coat ponies from earlier drive up in their van and approach the door, as the girls heading to their battle stations. 

The loose doorknob halts them, but only for a little bit as male pony proceeds to kick the door down with one hoof (eat it G4 Applejack fans!).

I won't be recaping the traps, as I don't think my summarizing them would do the visuals justice, instead I'll just say that the traps work (apparently that white stuff on the ground is honey.... Bees in the Tales verse are odd) and dad pony surrenders, with Patch calling a cease fire. She starts to walk down the stairs Spike style, but slips and falls down butt first, landing in the white honey from earlier.

Male pony demands to know just what in the hell is going on, saying that they're the Berrytons and that they own the house (guess they like fixer upers projects). Mom Berryton remarks that they're moving in next week and that they just wanted to remove the junk in the house before hoof (begs the question as to why they waited until it was almost dark before coming back, but eh, I'ma call rule of drama on this one).

After the girls explain that this is where they hold their tea party meetings (Where they rant and rave about how the mayor is turning Coltenville into some sort of hippie Communist commune, oh for the love of- and I was almost there without making THAT kinda joke too!).

Having heard this, Dad Berryington is pretty understanding about the whole situation (to be fair he and his family did get off a heck of a lot better then the two crooks from the first two Home alone movies did), and commends the girl's bravery but says that they'll now in quite the predicament (I also like how as he says this the girls all look a bit shame faced).

Starlight then offers up their help as way of apologizing for going all Home Alone on their butts (what, you expected me to say plots? Don't be silly, stories have nothing to do with this episode! Yes I am sick of that bit of fanon why do you ask?).

Through everyone's hard work, the house is quickly repaired and fixed up what I can only assume to be the next day, with Son Berryington saving Sweetheart from a falling paint can. (Thanks Clover's tail!).

When the girls are finished, everyone gathers in the front of the newly refurbished house (which looks comically huge as the camera or whatever the cartoon version of the term I'm looking for, pans down to the group).

Mom Berryington thanks the girls for helping them fix up the house, holding no ill will against scaring her like they did before, and we see that they have a baby pony with them by the name of Poesy.

Starlight then asks if Cherry (must be one of those hyphen names, Poesy-Cherry Berryington. That or Bloom done goofed) can be in the picture and Mom agrees and asks if Sweetheart would like to be her baby sitter, which Sweetheart agrees to (also, apparently babies in the Tales verse are called newborns? Rises some interesting questions about Bon's baby brother) and the photo, taken by a stand camera, is snapped. 

Son pony then comes and says that it's ready, and it's revealed (after a bit of dramatic drumming out of nowhere) that the girls have a new club house, one that even looks a good bit like the old house. 

The girls are all impressed with their new base of operations, with this little gem from Melody: Farout! Let's have a tea party! Honestly the only way that could have been any more amusing if she had said groovy in as un-Ash Williams a way as possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUpNLd8SVU

The girls have their tea party in their new crib and vote as to whether or not Logan (that's the son pony dude) can join them or not. Sweetheart sticks up for him and says that he saved her life, while Patch good naturally jokes that he just saved her from getting paint on her. Sweetheart: Same difference.

They vote yes and the episode ends with Logan (no idea who the hell voiced him) asking for a scone/cookie thing, before tacking on the world please, causing everyone to laugh as a result.

And the number of times Logan and his family appear after this episode? None (as far as I can recall), making Sweetheart's conversation completely pointless. Which is odd, because I'm almost certain that this clubhouse makes future appearances. Oh well, maybe if Tales had been allowed more than just one season, we might have seen the Berryington's again. 

Also, this episode (or at least the high quality version I downloaded off of the internet, hey it's not like I can buy this stuff on Amazon or the like given how obscure it is) has some end credits, they're literally the exact same as the opening song, same animation, same song. But we do learn the names of some of the people who worked on the show besides the writer, both the title song and music was done by a Mr. Terry Goodman, with the lyrics to the title and other songs by Barry Harman.

Wally Burr directed the Vas when Weseluck wasn't directing the singing, and someone by the name of Doug Parker was the casting adviser (what that entails I don't honestly know), Dennis Venizelos did the background designs, so I'll tip my hat to him, assuming he's still alive/around. We also learn that the animation studio that Tales was Akom production company, and it's... basically DHX's anti self, whereas DHX clearly cares a lot about animating their ponies, AKOM was notorious for cutting a lot of corners with their animation (such as Bon Bon's shifting weight). In fairness, AKOM does an alright job when not compared to DHX, so that's the last I'll speak of it (knock wood).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:12:09 pm by Bob-dude »

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:51 pm »
Part 2

So what are my overall thoughts on the Tea Party? Pretty positive, though I think that the name mix up with the baby pony is sloppy by Mr. Bloom's standards. One could say that the episode is similar to Bats!, in that the beginning conflict is dropped half way for a different one, but I would disagree for both episodes. I think that both Bats! And Tea Party's switch half way do in fact tie in with their beginning plots. The Coltenville Six study the boys of the town so they can decide fairly if they want them to be able to join and not appear prejudiced, but then latter judge that the Berryington's are criminals, in other words they had an opinion about them without getting all the facts (like the fact that the Berryington's don't look remotely like criminals for starters).

Likewise with Bats!, Applejack's at first all gun oh about getting rid of the bats in her orchard, not caring that the most likely reason why their there is that because Sweet Apple Acres is the largest and best source of food for them, and if Winter Wrap up is anything to go by, the odds of the fruit bats being able to fend for themselves and find a new and better source in time before they all die isn't very likely. 

But once Fluttershy becomes one of them (BY ACCIDENT I might add, I highly doubt Twilight would have gone through with their plan if she had known that it would have transformed Fluttershy like it did), aka a pony that Applejack knows and cares about, it's not just a matter of me vs them but now has a transformed face that individualizes the problem on the middle child Apple. 

Now I know a some people feel differently (even if those people have a history of missing the point on some episodes) and that we're most likely not going to agree on the Bats! Episode, so I just want to get this out of the way, each their own.

Personally I've been taking it easy and enjoying season four quite well, not letting my hype or expectations get to high, and just going with the flow of the episodes. Daring Do's real and the writer of her own books? Works for me, if people think mashing the other Gens into one Frankenstein mish mash world's a good idea, I fail to see how something much smaller in scale and scope as Daring Do could raise any issues, plus works in well with the old adage of writing what you know, well when all you know is adventure and saving a very obscure part of Equestria on a semi regular bases...

But enough of my unpopular/unorthodox opinions on G4, next week we cover one of my favorite episode of Tales, and where I get somewhat more personal than usual, The Masquerade, also you'll want to make your own Phantom of the Opera jokes because I won't be making them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:12:46 pm by Bob-dude »

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »
I need to start typing up Too Sick to Notice's review so I can start responding to these things as they come... loved this review.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:21 pm »
Okay… I finally got around to typing out my thoughts on your Too Sick to Notice review, Bob-dude! Sorry it took so long; between becoming a published fanfic author and doing other stuff, I’ve been a bit busy...

Where FiM has copious dynamic episodes between the mane six ponies, Tales has actual parents with character traits and genetic links. I’d say that’s a fair tradeoff, considering the short length of the Tales series.

The younger sibling was the sweet and adorable Amber, of whom I need to write soon. And I was thinking that the movie Bon Bon was watching with Long Hose at the cinema was the Tom and Jerry movie, which was (fun fact) released a week after this episode’s airing. For the likes of TCAT, anyhow.

If I had my way, this would be a Mr. Tidwell joke, not a Jenkins one… ah well.

Heh. Pony Joe.

But anyway, I love how excited Bon Bon looks when she runs into the living room. If plopping right down next to her mom on the arm of the chair isn’t enough, she’s running more quickly than anyone else in this series ever did. It’s so oddly cute to me for some reason! ^u^

Misty is TOTALLY a perfectionist, in my world. I’d have loved to have seen more of her character, le sigh…

Elementary, my dear Bob-dude. The reason that the Bon family has so many clothes is because everyone has that many clothes in Tales.
Bon Bon in Masquerade, Melody in Battle of the Bands, Clover in And the Winner is, Patch in Princess Problems… Bon’s wears more clothes than the others normally, anyway. Simple as cherry pie.

Bon Bon has more pictures of herself than anyone else in her room, though. Very amusing to me, finding all of the pictures she has of herself. That one where she’s showing off her hindquarters for some reason, the one of her strutting around, the ones of her by her bed, the one obscured by the phone line, her dachshund dad… just, as a whole, a ton. And, also, on her disappearing spray can, her
picture exists. Not a model, eh Bon Bon?

Actually, also, she may have been younger. Tales AIRED in ’92. There’s a chance she was thirteen (in ’91) when she recorded that. Maybe even 12 in ’90, because we don’t know how long Tales’ production took.

I don’t know what to think of the ponies’ ages. I like to think Misty’s about fourteen, Bon Bon’s on the latter half of ten, and Amber and Twink are about six. Rusty’d be on the latter half of nine, though at least one person has had the interesting idea that Rust and Bon are twins. (And he did appear in her class in And The Winner Is… so it’s possible).

Headcanon aside…

Again, everything with Bon Bon is connected. I’ve obviously explained before, so I won’t explain again.

Slice Cake has, going by the comics, SEVEN kids. So of course she’d be able to tell!

Well, in fairness, her family WAS too busy to do Bon Bon’s hair…

I bet Melody competed in some musical contest. Too bad I can’t say Mel got them at the Battle of the Bands, because, you know, that HASN’T HAPPENED YET.

It was Amber, FYI. And though I adore her (and her semiautistic twin Twink) I am horribly amused by Bon Bon’s impish, troublemaking side. If Patch heard, she’d be proud and worried that her title of the series scamp had been challenged. That ought to be a fic… Just like the one with the burping contest… DANG IT.

They’re based off of girly magazines of that time. From my limited research for a PowerPoint I once did when I was bored, there’s a comic called Cosmo Girl. Headlines? “SECRETS TO BEING A GREAT KISSER,” “387 HOTTEST BACK TO SCHOOL LOOKS” “4 MOVES TO A STRONG, SEXY BODY” “ARE YOU TOO EASY?” (can’t figure out what that means) and “MY MOM MARRIED A HIGHSCHOOL CLASSMATE.” -_- Take what that implies about Bon Bon’s character for what you will.

I never thought of the opposites point, of the ordering out point. Great observations there.

On a humorous note, you misspelled diary as dairy. The first time I showed my mom one episode, she misread the title as ‘Bon Bon’s Dairy.’ That would have made a hilarious situation…

If Bon Bon gave her dad a Zen riddle, wouldn’t her voice actress have been Chiara ZENNI? *dead*

I love Slice Cake’s pony snuggle thing, though. It was adorable! I love how, with Tales, they act very human at times, but they still have pony mannerisms. Their bags being worn around their shoulders, some little forms of affection displays they have, and some of their pony movements. I love those parts for some reason.

You messed up your phrasing here. You mean to say that none of them love her less. You said the opposite; ‘that doesn’t mean none of them love her any less.’ Negatives are confusing…

Why do you think Bon Bon’s parents like beets? 8/

I don’t know what to think here as to whether they were faking or not… Sweet of Bon Bon to take care of them so enthusiastically, though, regardless.

But one of my favorite moments in this episode is the one where Bon Bon runs up to baby pony and gives him kitchen utensils and says that “Pots and pans fan was her favorite game.” Just imagine. A little baby Bon Bon having fun playing this Pots and Pans Fan game. Maybe throw in another of her siblings or some of her friends. It’s the single CUTEST thing I have ever envisioned.
I’ve always thought the picture by the door was a picture of a ghost pony. Or maybe that’s what Patch looks like when she has her picture taken…

StarBon fuel indeed! I might be jealous, but I already had the lion’s share of PatchBon with the roller-skating thing earlier this episode (which requires more interaction, a concert, the cinema, or roller skating/roller dancing?) and Slumber Party. But I do like to think the girls all pitched in a little at Starlight’s idea to get Bon Bon the bouquet.

And, you know, she’s too busy with her family to even take her friend’s peace offering. If all the Tales ponies represented countries, we’d have one crazy world…

I love the parents in this show, though, for all the reasons you mentioned and for the fact that you can see how they go into their children developmentally. Sometimes it’s obvious, and other times it really isn’t, and it’s just implied – a great choice.

I'm getting on to Battle of the Bands right away, I promise!