Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
Intro!
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:29:42 pm »
Alright fine, time for my intro post!

Name Kat!
Occupation Ace's Ambassador! 8)
Website For now I'll link to my ffnet account, where some of my fic is posted. I'm going to try and get all of it (that I deem fit for public reading) up there soon! Which also includes re-writing some of my old fic that really sucks. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/167765/wispykitty

Anyway - I've been a fan of Tales since it first came on the air (either in '92 or '93). I remember sneaking down to watch it at 6:30 in the morning, hoping no one in my family would notice (I felt like I was a little too old to be into it). From the first shot of him on screen, I totally fell in love with Ace. He's stuck with me through my entire life since then, always inserting himself into anything else I got into, fandom-wise. I've had periods where I had no interest in anything relating to this show, but I always had an OC named Ace in whatever other fandom I was dabbling in. Seriously, this muse is my soul mate. ;)

Just last year I finally got to meet his voice actor, Brad Swaile, when he came to Toronto's Fan Expo! I even went to meet him dressed up as Melody (along with a friend of mine who dressed up as Bon Bon). He told us that we popped his pony cherry - we were the first fans to meet him cosplaying Tales characters! Which only seemed right, to me, since I probably love Ace even more than he does (and he was very adamant about still loving that character, which was awesome to hear).

Aside from Tales - my other obsession is the sport of football/soccer! Ace is actually the reason why I even started watching the sport, to be honest. I wanted to familiarize myself with it so I could write fics of him actually playing, which just happened to be around the summer of 2006 (when the World Cup was hosted in Germany). I lived in Germany for 4 years as a kid (army dad) so I always cheer for Germany whenever Canada sucks at something! It was an automatic love for me, and from there on I became an obsessed fan. My club of choice is Bayern Munich (and I have many a muse set on Earth where Ace plays for that very club!) though I do support my local team, Toronto FC (where I met my boyfriend of 7 years).

Other than that I'm super into Japanese fashion (I'll be in Tokyo for New Year's day sales this year, which are crazy!), MTV's Teen Wolf (my Ace muse felt an instant bro-connection with Jackson from the first time I watched), music (anything from black metal to 80s synth to vocal trance!), and my bird Hari (he's a Green Cheek Conure).

Realized I never posted pics of my Melody cosplay at the Schoolhouse, but for those curious, here are some links (not posting the pics because I don't want to deal with re-sizing them so they're smaller):
Me and Brad, with Melody 1.0 - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/familymcdougal/CIMG9091_zpse994088c.jpg
A work-in-progress shot of Melody 2.0 (going for more of an actual pony vibe with less human clothing - keeping the vest though as I puff painted a Rockin' Beats logo on the back; right now just trying to consider what I want to do regarding my face - either leave it, paint it, or construct some kind of pony mask) - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/familymcdougal/Melody/CIMG9465_zps64ce733b.jpg
I even made a Melody wig stand! - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/familymcdougal/Melody/CIMG9488_zpsa32af925.jpg

That's all for now.  8)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: Intro!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:53:35 pm »
Coolio, Kat! I didn't know you were an ambassador; it's thanks to one anime I've wondered how the Tales fandom would work as a platoon type thing, haha. If you're the Ace Ambassador, what does that make me, the Conquistador of Tales Fandom? Corporal Notes? LANCE corporal Notes? DX

June 3rd 1992 was the first episode's air date. But if it was Just for Kicks you watched first like you say, then it was closer to '93.

Brad Swaile looks as good as ever. And I love the cosplay! This year for Halloween, I want to make a Tales costume, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it. If I did make a Tales costume, I'd try to be Patch wearing a bomber jacket. Combining her and Hetalia's America just makes sense for some reason.

Wow, nice. I knew you were into football thanks to your LJ, quite the super fan, and I got a kick out of a certain drunken rant~ and some  pictures of gay football boys you had conveniently in the reach of a young'un~

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:25:26 am »
Very lovely costume you got working there! Also find it amusing (in a good way) that every OC of yours has gone by the name of Ace.  ;)

Offline Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:14 am »
All my d'awwww!

That's really awesome.

I love adult fans here can just geek out, warms the heart it does.

Oh how I wish I could see those cosplays. :<

Still, that's great you got to meet him. He still remembers!

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:03:58 pm »
Coolio, Kat! I didn't know you were an ambassador; it's thanks to one anime I've wondered how the Tales fandom would work as a platoon type thing, haha. If you're the Ace Ambassador, what does that make me, the Conquistador of Tales Fandom? Corporal Notes? LANCE corporal Notes? DX

Brad Swaile looks as good as ever. And I love the cosplay! This year for Halloween, I want to make a Tales costume, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it. If I did make a Tales costume, I'd try to be Patch wearing a bomber jacket. Combining her and Hetalia's America just makes sense for some reason.

Wow, nice. I knew you were into football thanks to your LJ, quite the super fan, and I got a kick out of a certain drunken rant~ and some  pictures of gay football boys you had conveniently in the reach of a young'un~

Ha I wish I could get paid to be Ace's ambassador! In reality I work in distribution (selling high end baby products to fancy boutique stores; which is hilarious because I really dislike babies!) though really I should be getting paid to write about Ace. ;)

And funny you mention us being a platoon and all because I was in the army for 8 years, and had actually plotted out an army story (with some of the Tales kids) based on my own experience in basic training! Then I had another story where some of the kids were in cadets. Ahh, memories of stories I never got around to writing.

Brad Swaile's is a freaking cutie and I definitely had something of a stupid little (all consuming) crush on him for a few days after that weekend! ;) Honestly it was weird. I felt like I had regressed back to junior high, haha! I think it was really because of how into Ace he still was. He sings Ace's songs, he told me that he'd wanted to bring Ace t-shirts to sell but wasn't sure if anyone would buy one, and he got into a peaceful argument with a brony during his panel about whether or not Ace would be too rude and mean to appear in FiM (of course said brony had to be sitting next to my friend and I - surprised I dealt with him politely). :P

Wow Notes stalking my LJ are you?! ;) To tell you the truth - my first loves of football slash were two guys who made me think of Ace and an OC of mine. Don't know if you came across a link to my epic footie story Rebuilding Lukas (about a player who gets a major concussion during a game and basically has to spend months rehabbing everything from speech to handwriting) but I had originally wanted to write that story about Ace! But I had no audience for that other than my best friend, while the footie fandom was rather large at that time. :)

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:21 pm »
Very lovely costume you got working there! Also find it amusing (in a good way) that every OC of yours has gone by the name of Ace.  ;)

Thanks! And yeah, I've been doing that OC thing forever! Last year my dad brought me some stuff he found while moving to a new house, and one of the things he brought was an old school planner I'd been using during my very early days in the wrestling fandom (basically had a thing for imagining all my favourite wrestlers going to high school together; this was back in 96/97) and I used to keep school planners for my favourite characters... And I saw numerous mentions of Ace in said planner, along with the wrestlers! I had forgotten about that, but seeing his name in there brought back all the memories. :)

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 09:15:33 pm »
All my d'awwww!

That's really awesome.

I love adult fans here can just geek out, warms the heart it does.

Oh how I wish I could see those cosplays. :<

Still, that's great you got to meet him. He still remembers!

Yeah it is cool - granted some of us adults have been geeking out together for 15 years now, haha. Nice that we're still all in touch! But I love that we have new people getting involved now.  ;D

Did my links to the cosplay pictures not work for you?

Re: Brad - I actually went back on day 2 to see him again! My friend and I probably spent at least 40 minutes chatting with him that weekend? Would have been longer had we not been exhausted the Saturday, otherwise we'd have gone to the party that night. I totally would have had a few beers with him! Next time I'm thinking I should find an Ace wig and bring it and politely make him put it on so we can have Ace and Melody pictures. ;)

I did introduce him to the Tales comics (which he knew nothing about) and I want to make him an Ace book with copies of every Ace comic in it! After talking to him, I feel like it's something he would really appreciate having, since he's still a fan of the character. :)

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:21:58 pm »
Holy cow Kat, nice intro! You do make the rest of us look a bit lazy with our short and sweet ones, though. lol!

I've already told you how much I love your Melody cosplay, it is AmAzInG!! You make one super hawt Melody! ;D And your exploits with Brad always leave me feeling a bit jelly!

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:27:16 pm »
Holy cow Kat, nice intro! You do make the rest of us look a bit lazy with our short and sweet ones, though. lol!

I've already told you how much I love your Melody cosplay, it is AmAzInG!! You make one super hawt Melody! ;D And your exploits with Brad always leave me feeling a bit jelly!

Yeah you know me... Can't stop talking about myself. ;) And thank you again!!  :-*

You have no idea how tempted I am to fly out to Vancouver and convince him to hang out with me! That's not creepy at all, right?!  ;)

ALSO I just Googled Tony Sampson to see what he's up to these days (never seems to go to cons, so sad!), and you know what was suggested in the search box?! "Tony Sampson Diver". There's a Tony Sampson (in freaking Halifax how weird is that?! For everyone not-Teddy: I lived in Halifax when she and I first started talking) who works as a paramedic/diver. He must have done some ship wreck diving before!! This is fate telling me to write that story!

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:52:14 pm »
You look awesome as Melody! Ace would so have a crush on you! :)

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 11:02:57 pm »
You look awesome as Melody! Ace would so have a crush on you! :)

Thanks! I think Ace and I would make a good couple. I'd keep his ego in check at least. ;)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 11:10:41 pm »
This thread seriously amuses me. But seriously, Kat, that's wicked awesome. Whether or not fate tells you, you were gonna have to write the story eventually, right?

And Brad sounds like a wicked awesome dude. And no, it isn't creepy at all. Not by my standards, at least. And hey, AcexKat makes more sense than AcexStarlight.* But we all know that the best Ace ship is Ace/Mr. Tidwell. (***) Tidwell is hawt. (*************)

(Note: the asterisks signify that I AM JOKING.)

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 11:51:25 pm »
Ah poor Mr. Tidwell! Speaking of old ponies who look like younger ponies... Did any of us ever mention how there's an old police officer who looks a lot like Ace? I can't even remember what episode he's in (might also be a comic I don't recall). But a friend of mine and I like to think of him as being Ace's grandfather (seriously he looks too old to have such a young kid) which makes for some awesome potential with stories! He and Tidwell probably went to school together (since I think Tidwell looks rather old as well)!

Anyway I am definitely going to do something with that Teddy story. I just as always have too many things to work on and never enough time!

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:24 am »
Up Up and Away, baka! *pokes Kat* Get your head in the game, private!

He also seemed to know Patch, and her spirit of ADVANCHURE HOOOO, so I agree with the sentiment. I just think of him as a particularly old dad for some reason, like Mr. Tidwell and Teddy Tidwell. He must be what, mid-fifties? I've heard of people having kids then.

But the idea of Deputy Star (as I call him) Mr. Tidwell and Mr. Kiddoo being a trio in elementary school is a really tempting idea. I've been thinking a lot about the adults lately, too.

You better.

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 04:15:19 pm »
Right - I haven't watched a lot of the episodes in a while, forgive me. ;) Plus I forget what we've already discussed! Then again I have discussed this idea with a few different people so it's hard to remember who I've talked to what about!

But yeah, given that I like to "pair" Ace and Patch as total BFFs, it would make sense for him to be familiar with her! I can see those two getting into trouble when they're bored (Ace would totally use his connections to get them out of trouble).