Tales Mania

Author Topic: *Cue the Theme song*  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
*Cue the Theme song*
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:18 am »
Because I have one of those now apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

So, first name Bob, last name Dude (and yes, I am the man  of whom the Dude look my last name as a nickname) and I felt it was time to make a proper intro thread. Got into ponies in general thanks to FiM, but Tales was my second pony show in part thanks to mlpFan's videos. From there I've watched bits and pieces of G3 (Princess Proemad and sarcastic Pinkie for the win!) and became an overall pony fan.

I am, for all none of you who are aware of it, the writer of the Watch Series of Tales, which can be found here http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?711230-Where-I-Watch-My-Little-Pony-Tales  and here http://mlplexicon.proboards.com/thread/2081/where-bobdude-watchs-mlp-tales?page=1 .

Why did I chose Tales over Fim. 1. The internet does NOT need yet another Watch of Fim. 2. I have very unpopular Fim opinions (No I don't give a damn if Feeling Pinkie Keen is anti science or not, both science and religion are overrated*). So Tales it was, and thus a massive Internet following was born! By which I mean that a couple of guys (and gals) on the internet like it.

As for what's my main sources of humor? Basically a blend of Terry Pratchet, John Steward (the Jewish comedian, not the black Green Lateran), a dash of the 11th Doctor (You shall forever be my doctor Matt Smith), and some of this guy I guess. http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?714296-Where-I-Watch-My-Little-Pony-9-Trampling-the-Status-Quo (Think his Momlestia running gag as long since stopped being funny but what the hell do I know?).

My favorite Tales ponies are a tie between Bon Bon (who would totally grow up to be a plus sized pony model) and Clover (so much adorkable klutziness).

As non Tales review influence, I've been mostly influenced by these two fellows https://www.fimfiction.net/user/The+Conflicted+Writer and http://collinfatpony.deviantart.com/ with a touch of Robert E Howard fight scene wise for my DBZ fics. https://www.fanfiction.net/~bobdude17

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: *Cue the Theme song*
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:06:24 am »
Nice intro... wow, between yours and Kat's, mine feels super succinct... I guess I should do something about that some time.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:10:00 am »
Did forget to add one thing though, people should TOTALLY check out this fic https://www.fimfiction.net/story/169036/rainbow-connection if they like ponies and are sick of the Gens being interrelated with one another.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:12:31 am »
I shall add it to my list of things to read!

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:57:55 am »
Another interesting factoid about me: I am (ironically) the complete opposite when it comes to transformers. If it isn't T Prime (or Rescue Bots) then I don't honestly care that much. Also, the 'Great and Powerful' Grimlock should be more accurately called the "Obnoxious and Overrated" Grimlock. And I don't care for the square aesthetic of G1 or the dumb animal transformations of Beast Wars (such as stupid premises).

I am also a horrible, horrible hypocrite. For example, I have a great... apathy lets say, for Fim fics that combine all the Gens into one world/timeline. I'm not say that their not good, I'm just saying they've been done to death. In spite of all this, I've got my own headcanons that blend both G1 cartoons into one timeline (dream Valley gives aways to the Tales present day) and I often blend G3 and 3.5 into one.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:20:29 am »
That is interesting. I"ll be brushing by each Transformer generation, and it'll be a little bit better to know your thoughts on the matter before plunging in.

I've got two relevant peeves: people to claim Tales is G2 and those who equate characters. With the former, I don't mean those who are gently corrected, even if there is a truckload of those online... it's those who say 'no, I'll call it G2 anyway. It's easier.' Easier for WHAT? For their peanut sized brain to process or for confusing others into a constant loop of ponies who do nothing but disrespectfully plop the shows into clumps?! X.

And for the equating characters... I mean when people say '80s Fluttershy' or 'Rainbow Dash clone.' NO. These are over-generalizations. People are idiots if they really think that you can call any character a clone in a franchise with so many differences in between the shows.   People seriously say 'Melody is the generation's Rarity' when she is as DIFFERENT AS CAN BE FROM RARITY. She's more like Rainbow Dash. But they aren't IDENTICAL; Melody is NOT just a 'Rainbow Dash clone.' And Patch is very different from Rainbow Dash; the only traits they share are 'tomboy' (totally different tomboys, I might add) and brashness (which is still of different types).

People are IDIOTS if they seriously believe this blasphemy, and I hate hypocrisy and ignorance. This combines both. This is DUMB.

I go on and on about points all the time, so I won't bother saying I was ranting in this post. But I see what you mean.

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:31:16 pm »
Why did I chose Tales over Fim. 1. The internet does NOT need yet another Watch of Fim. 2. I have very unpopular Fim opinions (No I don't give a damn if Feeling Pinkie Keen is anti science or not, both science and religion are overrated*). So Tales it was, and thus a massive Internet following was born! By which I mean that a couple of guys (and gals) on the internet like it.
You don't seem like a person who need to protect yourself from angry bronies. You don't need to choose Tales over FiM just because you have unpopular opinions. Many bronies seem like they have to take distance from Tales to protect themselves, but you choose the opposite. That's good!

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:32:00 pm »
Awesome intro, Bob-dude!! See this is what I love, being able to get to know each other a bit better and discover/discuss our other interests as well. Bravo to you for rejecting the brony community ideals and having a mind of your own! :)

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:06:37 pm »
Nice intro song! I love Wham in all their 80s dorkiness. ♥

I promise I will one day read your Tales reviews! Just haven't really had time in the past while for much. And I've read parts of BBTS - I liked it well enough given its niche, but it was very well written as well, which of course makes it all the better! Granted I've also never even contemplated pairing those two (I've always paired Starlight with Melody if need be, and BB I've actually never paired with any ladies on the show, but instead created an OC girl for her years back) but they worked in your story! :)

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:41:42 pm »
mlpfan: True enough, I like both shows equally, I just try to avoid flame wars and headaches when I can (which I why I always pass over any internet thread that starts has the words Star and Wars in it). Plus like I said, I like going against the expected,. Review FiM has been done by people far funnier than I (not that I read their stuff mind you) and that Al guy has his video reviews of MLP N Friends, so Tales seemed like as good a show as any to take on. Might tackle G3 afterwards, then either Ever After High (short episodes) or Quack Pack (have felt the urge to defend that show ever since the NC reviewed it as part of his Disney afternoon review).

Teddy; Thanks!  ;D I've always been a man of unconventional opinion (don't at all hate Feeling Pinkie Keen or the Maredowell episode for starters) and a pretty laid back open minded sort of guy (expect when Beast Wars is involved. No matter how good that show may be, it will ALWAYS be a dumb premises to me) so getting into Fim and then the earlier Gens was pretty easy.

Kat: Glad you liked it, was originally going to go with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKOv3VBJcc but I thought that wham! would better fit my party like good times atmosphere that I try to give off in my reviews. Glad you liked what parts that you read of Bons Between the Stars!

Shipping isn't my normal game (I'm a 22 year old guy so sue me) and something I care about as a rule of thumb, and weight gain isn't other folks normal bag either (unless you go to DA or Tumblr) but the fact the so many people have liked in spite of the weight gain elements means that I seem to have do a pretty good job at doing both the romance and weight gain parts well for people to like the story overall. Happy to hear that you thought it was well written though! And between the two of us, neither did I (think of paring Bon BOn and Starlight that is). I based that fic solely off of how Starlight puts her hoof around Bon Bon in the Play's the thing and was like, "Eh, why not?"

Shipping to me is a very fluid thing, that and I blame the Brony community for taking otherwise perfectly good friends and reading nothing but steam romance and sex into them (j/k... mostly ;) )

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 10:59:18 pm »
Kat: Glad you liked it, was originally going to go with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKOv3VBJcc but I thought that wham! would better fit my party like good times atmosphere that I try to give off in my reviews. Glad you liked what parts that you read of Bons Between the Stars!

Shipping to me is a very fluid thing, that and I blame the Brony community for taking otherwise perfectly good friends and reading nothing but steam romance and sex into them (j/k... mostly ;) )

The Hollies would have been a good choice too, but yeah, Wham definitely is more of a party feeling! :)

Ah yeah, see Bronies just always tend to take that one step further... Like I always used to think my Tales stories were pretty risqué and mature (granted some of them really are) but then I've read Brony things that were just... Nightmare-inducing. *lol* But I can't really say anything against romanticizing and sexing things up - I've done that numerous times myself! I mean I've shipped Ace and Teddy at times, after all. Granted I do at least carry a plot through my stories when I do it. ;)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 11:05:13 pm »
Strange. We have different ideas indeed, because my preferred ship at the moment is Patch and Bon Bon. I just have a soft spot for it; lots and lots of great little moments in the show for it, and great chemistry. But that said, I like pairing up characters in all kinds of ways. normally for different types of friendship stuff. I've started shipping once I got into Tales, because it''s just so predominant in the show.

And bobdude, you ARE very relaxed in your reviews. I love that about those!

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:03:24 am »
Kat: Me thinks the Mane Seven of Tales would take one look at something like Cupcakes and go: You know, we don't want a super popular massive fanbase THAT badly...

Notes: I have to say, when it comes to the PatchBon stuff you seem to be pulling a Kat and are slowly warming me up to the idea! And I'm glad that you like the laid back tone for the reviews!

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:18 am »
I don't know what to say to that, bobdude... recommend an episode that's jam-packed full of it? Say that it's cool while hiding a goofy smile? Exclaim "MY PLAN WORKED!" a la Whimsy Weatherbe? Because this wasn't all in a plan, pull Sweetheart's "really, truly unexpected" line from And The Winner Is? I dunno.

But yes, it is a great feel for us readers to have. But as a whole, when I talk to you, I feel like we're buds. Maybe this is starting to be true, as far as the internet goes, but you've always had that casual tone. I always have a sense of formality, so I respect you for being, as I believe the kids say it these days, 'chill.'

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 02:11:31 pm »
Yeah, I mostly keep the casual tone as a sort of response to how common it is to be negative and complainy about everything not FiM based now indays (think the Nostalgia Critic).