Tales Mania

Author Topic: Kiss & Makeup  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
Kiss & Makeup
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:03:07 am »
All right so - I just finished re-writing the first of my old, terrible fics! Went much quicker than I'd thought it would, so it gives me hope for the rest of them I plan on re-writing. :)

Title Kiss & Makeup
Characters Starlight, Ace (also features Patch, Teddy, Lancer, Brighteyes, Sweetheart, Clover, and Miss Hackney!)
Summary When an embarrassing bit of gossip is printed about Ace in the school newspaper, editor-in-chief Starlight is the first to feel the wrath of her crush! Will it keep the two apart, or will Ace forgive her?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10414297/1/Kiss-Makeup

Decided just to link to it at fanfiction.net because I'm lazy and I don't feel like finding all of the few instances of html'ed code and changing them to the board code. ;)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: Kiss & Makeup
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:42:38 am »
Because of your enthusiasm about the old story, I actually just read it yesterday. And now I'm all over reading the remastered version because, yesterday, your story reminded me of the dramatic parody story I wrote, Teddy-Angst. It'd be up by now, but I don't know how it would look if a satirical story that becomes a crackfic was my first story.

But I am really excited!

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:11:13 pm »
Yeah do yourself a favour and read the remastered, so much better. I actually added a scene with Starlight discussing what happened with SH and BE. And you know there's like, description, now... Instead of just walls of dialogue. ;)

But you should post that story! I love satirical crack!fic. I used to write so much crack!fic during my footiefic days... it was glorious. Crack is definitely up there as one of my favourite genres!

And if it's satirical Teddy angst I'm sure it'll be glorious!  ;D

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »
I read it. It was a GREAT story. It cleared up some points that were a bit ambiguous before. I mean, I detected a bit of intentional Lancer and Patch stuff, and I was all, 'Whaaaat?' when the Storm kid came up. They'd have a fun friendship to write, and the bronies' combine name for it would be Pancer. And I find that HILARIOUS.

My favorite scene was probably the one with Sweetheart and Bright Eyes, and I loved Clover's appearance at the end. Teddy and Miss Hackney also played their parts; I loved how Miss Hackney suppressed her lecture mode for Starlight; that was awesome of her! The only one who disappeared for this whole shebang was Bon Bon, and you mentioned Misty (which was GREAT). My Misty would be great friends with Starlight.

Yeah, I guess I should share it, even if it'll end up being the only thing there for a while. It's up.

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:31:27 pm »
Thanks! Yeah my old versions had many ambiguities (many times even who was saying what was confusing)! Granted I did write the majority of them while staying up until 3-4 in the morning with a friend. And then just not proof-reading them before posting. Horrifying really. ;)

Pancer is a pretty sweet ship name... Now that you have me thinking about that, I quite enjoy the idea of Melody and Ace being Mace! They'd both love that. Even though I'm not huge into the idea of ship names, I do love it when they work out perfectly! One of my OTPs for Ace (I have many different OTPs for him based on setting!) involves him having the last name Dahl, and his partner's last name is Sterling, and together they make Darling! They'd both had their names decided before they were ever a couple, so it was like fate pulling them together. ;)

I loved writing the scene with SH and BE! I think those two play each other perfectly in terms of relationship advice/sympathy! Super romantic and emotional SH, coupled with super logical BE makes for fun conversations! As for Hackney - I figure she's the kind of person who would understand that there's a time and a place for certain kinds of advice and criticism. No point in telling someone that what they're doing is wrong when they're hung up on something else. Better off to help them clear their minds before discussing the real issue.

I always try and include Misty any time I set something in the ice cream shop! She and Star totally have a sisterly bond. I love writing them discussing school and guys! Misty's always trying to offer advice and experience, but some times she's so far off course that Starlight ends up advising her instead. They're fun!

I read your story - it was awesome! Loved it! I'll leave a review on ffnet though. :)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »
Yes, horrifying. But my first stories were pretty awful, too. We all have humble roots.

I'm not the biggest with them, but because I was once a lurker brony, I was exposed to them a lot. Mace, Pancer, Darling and the like might be a bit silly in some contexts, but the Pokemon fandom is ridiculous. They name their ships stuff like Pokeshipping, Wishfulshipping, Contestshipping, Ikarishipping, Rivalshipping... it's pretty ridiculous. Still dreamed those up for most of the main character combos, though. You're right about Mace; pretty great ship name for the standards some of them drop to. And when you said 'Dahl,' I thought of Roald Dahl. Such a fun writer, he was.

Bright Eyes and Sweetheart ARE great for fun conversations. And you're so right about Miss Hackney. I wouldn't have that kind of restraint, that's for sure.

Nice point with Misty. She does seem like the type to be well-intentioned, but sometimes totally off-base. In my universe, Starlight and Misty would be closer than Bon Bon and Misty. Misty's the type who studies hard and is mature. Bon Bon takes her dialogue and unintentionally twists it into a personal attack, so she's mad at Misty all the time over nothing. Starlight's advice sometimes goes there too, though not as often, so I could definitely imagine Starlight gently defending Misty when Bon Bon comes to her. Sounds fun indeed!

Wow, great! *0* There'll be more serious stories in the future, but hopefully more satire, too. I can't wait for your thoughts!

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:49:57 pm »
I just read your thoughts, and laughed with mirth. I'm so glad that you liked it! Yeah, that was the inspiration there.

And of course I was going to reference Yorkie when Teddy is having a bad life! That adorable pig caused him so much grief. Teddy started it, but they have an awesome dynamic.

I like to think Ace came in for a 'special visit'... if'n you know what I mean.

Yeah, that was the weird part. I was inspired there. But the part of the review that says 'Patch throwing lightning bolt fits' is just... pfft!

Really, really glad you enjoyed it though! Hopefully, more serious stories will be up there soon. Or maybe I'll cop out and write a story about Bon Bon's cooooomplicated love life a la Sad Life of Teddy.

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:27:20 pm »
I definitely like the idea of Starlight being closer to Misty than Bon Bon! BB could get angry when she thinks Misty is trying to move in on her friends! Potential for a fic I think. I also like to imagine that Misty is the kind of girl who attracts attention from guys all the time, and everyone always tells her how beautiful she is (without her even trying to look good) which will make insecure Bon Bon super jealous of her sister! Especially when Misty doesn't even care about getting compliments, and thinks it's a little dumb to put so much emphasis on your appearance. Classic sisterly struggle, really. I'm really getting tempted to write something about Bon Bon's family... I really like Rusty too, I think I used him in an RP once? I'll have to revisit her siblings and figure out their exact personalities for this.

Anyway I really hope you'll just put more stories up period - regardless of whether they're serious or satire. That BB satire one sounds amazing though so you should definitely write it!

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 11:41:57 pm »
That's exactly what I was thinking! Misty IS that type of girl. And that story sounds awesome; I love Bon Bon's family, tooI I am SO writing about them. All of them. Amber, Rusty, Misty, Mother, Baby... heck, even Twink will get a bit of recognition! Very sisterly struggle, indeed.

For some reason, I also think that Bon Bon's mom was REALLY popular with the guys back in her teenage years, but didn't end up doing much until she met Bon's Dad, even though her best friend the Van guy (I also don't think she was particularly popular; just tending to correct things that aren't right) had a massive crush on her since elementary school. ...I dunno why I am so fascinated by her... but I have similar ideas for all of the family.

Will do! I WILL have to write that Bon Bon one. She seems really popular romance-wise on the show, too. Dancing with Lancer, dating Ace, catching the affections of Teddy, Corny and Cookie and even Patch... but she's too preoccupied with feeling sorry for herself and angsting to realize it.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 12:13:18 am »
Notes: You should all it the Life and Times of Bon Bon.  ;) Could also see that version of Bon Bon becoming quite the flirt about town once she gets passed her teen years and reaches young adulthood.

Kat: As for your story, loved it! Writing up a more detailed response on FF.net.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:32:45 am by Bob-dude »

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 12:32:13 am »
Oh yes. And I get the reference; yay! Incredibly Dense Mind of Rainbow Dash was pretty silly.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 08:53:09 pm »

Kat: Finally got around to posting my thoughts on FF.net.

Offline Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 01:38:59 am »
Really nice story, Kat! As BD said, very original flavor.

Question though, what's a footiefic?

Ship names: AH man, just thought of Sweetheart and Bright Eyes. Sweet Eyes? Bright Heart?

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 01:41:01 am »
Yeah, that could work, I suppose. I prefer Bright Heart. What would Bright Eyes and Starlight be? Star Eyes? BrightStar? StarBright? BrightLight?

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 03:49:37 am »
Fond of StarBright myself for what it's worth.