Tales Mania

Author Topic: What MLP tales story to write?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Tornado Firehooves

• View Profile
What MLP tales story to write?
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:03:08 am »
okay everbody, I had a question; What do you think would be a good subject for and MLP tales story, and with what characters? I wanted to do a non-gen crossover tales story to follow up royal respite with, but what would tales fans like to read?

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: What MLP tales story to write?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 03:02:34 pm »
Well, this is a very difficult question to answer. You know why? Because there are simply so many different Tales stories we would love to see written! So I might as well be lazy and counter a question with a question: what do you want to get out of your stories?

...Buuuut everyone knows me somewhat by now. No, I'm NOT going to cop out and just answer the question, 'cause that would be too easy.

But anyway, as far as I can tell, you have a knack for adventure stories, right? You could write one set in the Talesverse. You might  or might not mention eccentric adventure pony. Now, with Tales, you couldn't very well write the ponies destroying monsters and saving kingdoms. While fantasy doesn't exist in everyday Tales (EVERYDAY deserves emphasis) there is that in-the-back-yard type charm.

If you wanted to write an adventure story, you could have some of the ponies going on a quest to a nearby place. Maybe they go into the woods in search of a monster who is supposedly eating everyone. Or perhaps the ponies in question are on a trip to Tropical Island (at Bright Eyes' urging, she'd likely be involved) and, accompanied by Moki, explore Tropical Island and perhaps involve island culture. I know you happen to be a fan of world building if nothing else, and that's one facet of Tales culture we never get to learn about.

Another place that you could go with adventure is, possibly, Squire. Nobody writes Squire, and he likely went on adventures a lot, no?

But even getting aside from these oneshot characters, the main cast could go on little quests of their own. There is the Old Woods incident in Birds of a Feather, the hot air balloon one in Up, Up and Away, the Pinto cave one in An Apple for Starlight, touches of it with the Dark Forest in The Masquerade, Squire's story in Slumber Party... heck, they revealed that there's a castle on the hill nearby. Maybe someone explores that.

But then, you might want a change of pace. Yes, slice of life exists. It's done more in Tales fanfiction, though, normally in conjunction with romance (or at least mentions/implications of it). But there are lots of ideas, locations and even characters who are underused.

Romance and comedy also really link with the Tales-verse. Most existing stories go with a cross of romance and slice-of-life with little circulation in pairings, so it isn't THAT tough to be original: stick in a new pairing. Don't write romance in if it doesn't fit.

The point is, there are lots of different genres you could do. Sadness, horror, tragedy, CLOP, alternate universe... now, those are less fitting, but still work. Gribet had a 'sad' ending. The Masquerade, Up Up and Away and Princess Problems... now, those COULD have been tragic. Clop... potential for that, but we only have a few Tales fanfics and I imagine you wouldn't WANT to write that. Alternate universe could be an interesting possibility, though. Whether you alter the world or the episode endings to get the characters thinking.

Now for characters. With this fandom, Clover is shunted to the side in particular. I'd love to see her in a Tales story, personally, and there are other Clover fans. Starlight, Sweetheart and Bright Eyes (especially the former two) NEVER get any time away from Ace, Teddy and Lancer, so I really hope someone gets to developing them away from the boys soon. Vice-versa would be nice too.

It depends on what type of story you want to put out... but Tales fandom lacks in world building. My ideal story from you would be an adventure, either on Tropical Island or in the castle on the hill, involving Clover and probably some of her friends. THAT would be awesome.

But again, it is up to you what you write. Knowing you have a knack for world-building is part of what makes me inclined to mention it, because it is SOO FORGOTTEN ABOUT! But overall, I just implore with you... try to involve Clove.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »
I'd say that Notes has given a pretty in depth reponse. Adding to her comment, I wouldn't mind seeing something focused more on Clover or Bon Bon, and if you MUST make it a squeal to Royal Respite, I'd say tackle the implications of the Mane Seven Discovering the town's evil conspiracy nonsense being out in the full. Does Melody even talk or live with her mother? Do any of the Mane Seven or Tale Trio trust their parents any more? How has Bright Eyes reacted to all this? She always seemed to be the Lawful Good Lisa Simpson type of character, so how will she deal with something as earth shattering as the town conspiracy coming out in full? I think character wise you have a lot of potential to come up with an interesting story.

Offline Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:58:16 pm »
I'm trying to work on my own story, but I'm hitting depression and writer's block, so it's stalling right now.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:23:31 pm »
All you gotta do is get started, Darkabomination. It takes a lot to get really, really good, so you try the best you can, have good characterization and a good idea (you have good ideas) and you'll pump out a good story.

But Bob-dude has a point I never brought up: whether it will properly be a follow-up set after the events of Royal Respite. If it will be, then yeah, I'd do something along the lines of Bob-dude's idea (if it'd make you happy).

Yet, I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that if you're passionate about telling the story, we'll be happy to read it.

If there is a conspiracy in Royal Respite, you CAN'T have the characters just take it in stride. It could be medical, involving MELODY'S MOM and SWEETHEART. Or maybe it has to do with something else, but it must have touched them in some way.

And yeah, Bon Bon and Clover are both underrated.