Tales Mania

Author Topic: My intro!  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
My intro!
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:40:31 pm »
Hi all! I figured I should introduce myself as well.

I've been a huge Tales fan since I first saw the show on TV back in wow, 1993 I guess. Times flies! Anyway, back in the day I made a really horrible Tales site because there really weren't any in existence yet. Unfortunately, it is still up for all to see. lol! I haven't done anything with it in many years now, but hopefully the information there is useful to someone somewhere. ;)

So, more about me? Well, I am a former Zookeeper from the US. I love birds and they are my life! Yep, I'm a total Bird Nerd. I hope to get back into Zookeeping soon here in Sweden, but for now I'm taking Swedish classes and birding in my free time. For those who don't know, I moved to Sweden about a year ago to be with my husband (mlptfan), whom I actually met through Tales! Who ever would have thought? ^-^

Oh, here's one of my fav pics I took last summer of a female Common Goldeneye with her ducklings:

I will spare you further bird pics for now. ;)

Any other questions, feel free to ask!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:30:58 pm by Teddy »

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: My intro!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:52:26 pm »
Spare us bird pics? Please don't! I ADORE birds!

Thanks a ton for making that unSITEly site. Great stuff there, if nothing else.

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:27:25 am »
Omg, don't tempt me like that Notes! lol! Now I must post a few more birdles:

Male Bullfinch

Bohemian Waxwing

Female Black Woodpecker

Ok, I could seriously go on forever, but maybe I should make a special birding thread with all my pics one day instead? ;)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:33:29 am »
You ought to; these pictures are GREAT!

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:24:38 pm »
That bullfinch picture is especially Nat Geographic worthy! Beautiful composition! ;) (I'm not being sarcastic I really like it!)

I'm really sad that I kept moving my old site around so much! I've been hunting for so many of my old stories but I must have only ever put them on my site when I had my own server and not when I had that dreadful Angelfire site that's still around! So unfortunate. Still enough reminders though of all the stupid things we used to do. :)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:49:26 pm »
STUPID THINGS? Like what, Kat? Writing stories that are still in circulation today? Making a young one squeal in fangenderish delight at finding a new trove of stuff? Having LOVELY discussions on public forums? l80

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:16:21 pm »
D'aww, thanks Kat! ^-^

You did move your site around far too much, such a pity so many awesome stories were lost (I still consider most of them to be really good!). And OMG, we were such dorks! ;D

Offline Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »
No hope for Wayback Machine?

Sad. Would have liked to read those stories.

But that doesn't mean new ones can't be written.

I want to start mine badly, but depression says otherwise.

Even so, it's nice to have some friends to talk with!

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »
D'aww, thanks Kat! ^-^

You did move your site around far too much, such a pity so many awesome stories were lost (I still consider most of them to be really good!). And OMG, we were such dorks! ;D

Yeah, and one of my now biggest problems is that I used frames so freaking much in my designs, and anything I've tried looking up on the Wayback Machine only captured the main page and not the pages within the frames, so nothing of any real importance to me. So sad!

Oh and I Googled Teddy's Place to look at your site, and apparently there's a hostel of that name in Zanzibar and now it's giving me ideas of Teddy opening a hostel near a pirate ship wreck! Though he'd spend most of his time either diving to check out ship wrecks or manning the bar at his hostel and chatting with treasure hunters. Sometimes this whole "get inspired by everything" is both a blessing and a curse, haha!

But speaking of your site omg 15 year anniversary in October!! So speshul. ;) But seriously wow looking at some of the old fan art... Peppy's Moulin Rouge Teddy!! Still brilliant. Ahh and seeing my old terrible art too.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/teddysplace/images/MissKat.JPG - OMG I'm crying over here!   :'(

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/teddysplace/images/tiaratizzy.gif - Yeah speaking of this I STILL have to mail you something I drew of the three of us... Still a procrastinator! Have you heard from Clover at all? Is she still around anywhere? I don't think I've heard from her in years, unless she changed LJ accounts and I never noticed.

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 05:36:40 pm »
No hope for Wayback Machine?

Sad. Would have liked to read those stories.

But that doesn't mean new ones can't be written.

I want to start mine badly, but depression says otherwise.

Even so, it's nice to have some friends to talk with!

I've tried looking, but I was unfortunately in love with using frames, and for whatever reason the WBM only ever seemed to save the main page and not the interior frames. So unfortunate! Plus the one site I had on Angelfire that I knew had the particular stories I'm looking for I totally wiped, for some stupid reason, when I moved to my own hosted site. I don't know why I didn't just leave everything on there. :(

That's unfortunate about depression getting in the way of your stories! Even if you can't get around to actually writing them, I'd love to hear your ideas for them at least, if you feel up to sharing them. :)

Offline Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 06:17:26 pm »
Well this one's kind of ambitious, but.

The premise is an alternate take on Equestria Girls where Sunset Shimmer alters the mirror's location to another universe, this being the Talesverse.

The fic would explore the cast about 4 years after the show in high school where Sunset and Ace with their mutual egos and self-interest form a relationship and scheme to take Twilight's crown.

Twilight herself remains an alicorn, but only because she has her supply of magic and Tales with it's very minimal amount of background magic means she has to conserve her supply carefully, and will become an earth pony when it runs out.

Twilight has to conceal her identity and wears a goofy oversized hat and taped down wings under a jacket to hide them. TO explain the different words like everypony and Equestrian names, she passes herself off as a foreign exchange student from the far east in a far-off land called Equestria.

With this setup, she needs to befriend the cast to navigate this new world, stay out of Ace and Sunset's influence, and try to get the crown back.

Clover and Patch are the only ones to believe her story, with Brighteyes inicially thought to be the easiest to bond with shared love of learning becomes difficult as their fields of magic and science respectively clash and won't buy either's claims. Not to mention Twi has to go back to school and learn a whole new way of physics, which both frustrates and delights her to no end.

Lastly, the crown gets mixed up with a diplomatic meeting with the king and queen, so like it or not Twilight will have to play the part of princess to get it back.

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:12:58 pm »
Darkabomination: That sounds pretty cool (and quite complex!)! I'm a pretty big fan of G4 as well, so a crossover like this would be interesting to read. ^-^

Kat: Oh god, that forced me to go look at my own site again and holy crap...lol! But it does bring back alot of crazy awesome memories!! And Teddy running a hostel next to a sunken pirate ship, huh? Well, I guess that would mean his dream of becoming a pirate would be partly coming true after all then? lol!

I haven't heard from Clo in quite awhile, but I did make her one of my little custom Tiny Tin ponies of her persona a couple years ago. I'm sure she's still around somewhere! I should try to contact her again and see what she's up to! :)

And to all of you except Notes: Where are your own intro posts?? ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:20:27 pm by Teddy »

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »
Yeah I'm working on that intro... Don't ban me please.  8)

But I do love the idea for Teddy, since it would tie in with his whole pirate obsession! I'm so tempted to write fic now of him becoming an ocean diver. *sigh* This is why I can never finish anything! Seriously though - in my world Lancer's parents both work with the National Geographical Society, so of course Lancer would be super interested in also getting into treasure hunting and could probably fund some of Teddy's dives! Ace would still be the professional athlete, but during his off months he'll go hang out with Teddy and do some diving as well! Patch would totally be into it, Brighteyes would probably run a lab and analyze anything Teddy finds, Bon Bon could be the chef at his hostel's restaurant, and I'm sure I could find odd jobs for the others to do...

I want to make this a thing now.

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 10:59:04 pm »
Well this one's kind of ambitious, but.

The premise is an alternate take on Equestria Girls where Sunset Shimmer alters the mirror's location to another universe, this being the Talesverse.

The fic would explore the cast about 4 years after the show in high school where Sunset and Ace with their mutual egos and self-interest form a relationship and scheme to take Twilight's crown.
Well, that would work. But be sure to keep that darn Meghan McCarthy out of the script. Seriously, she is the writer who brings the shallowest Twilight Sparkle character into life. I just finished watching Twilight's Kingdom, and it was painful, especially the song in the beginning (Whining: Why don't I get to do princess stuff like the other princesses).

All the Tales characters, that includes Ace, have the ability to grow. 4 years after the show, I think Ace would have followed Rainbow Dash's ways (understanding ones weakness), rather than Sunset Shimmer's short lived plot (Meghan McCarthy's vision that is Equestria Girls).

BTW, I have nothing against FiM, I promise! ;)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26:44 pm »
How on earth should I order this post... and how to format it... I guess I'll use the new thing from the Schoolhouse where everyone gets a color.

DarkAbomination gets teal. It's an intelligent color, after all, and you strike me as the thinker type. Anyway, I like the idea; it has a whole boatload of potential. I disagree with the sentiment that Ace would get it on with Sunset Shimmer (my that sounds perverted) because normally two ponies with huge egos don't get together because they're self-centered, but because of other traits.

But that's almost totally blipped out by the awesomeness of the Twilight thing. The Element of Magic running out of magic is just such an interesting concept. And her disguise sounds adorable and hilarious, if I may comment. Clover Patch's dynamic is a bit dull next to some more implied at dynamics in Tales, but they really strike me as the types to believe in the supernatural. Too bad they never explored that angle in the shows.

But if and when you get to writing the story, don't be afraid to enlist my help. I'll read it if it does come into fruition!

Kat next, I suppose. We've already gone over why you're green, but I guess I'll reiterate it: your Ace's favorite color is green, so therefore you are green.

But that serious note aside, you wrote other stories that have been totally lost with time?! Way to depress a obsessive casual fan... And I never noticed anything about the frames, but that is unfortunate, though some sections on your site seem to have frame-type things that appear with Wayback.

But that Teddy idea MUST happen. As soon as you want it to, because there are so many great ideas flying around in your head. And the quick inspiration is a blessing. The other day, I thought of the great idea of a boat with all of the Tales ponies in it flipping overboard and being like the Titanic movie, but it doesn't stink. Jack is Patch and Bon Bon is... the chick! (Never seen the Titanic, FYI.) It'll be AWESOME. (I don't even know if I mean it that...) But write whatever you like.

Teddy is blue because Teddy is blue. That's confusing; in the future, I shall call Teddy the user Teddy 1 and Teddy the character Teddy Tidwell, Teddy T., or Teddy 2.

And that's right about Teddy's dream of being a pirate! It's good that we all at least managed to learn what our ponies wanted to do, right? Bon Bon as a showpony fashion model and Teddy as a pirate are really interesting too, if I may say so myself.

But anyway, I can imagine you guys are really packing in the nostalgic feelings at looking at your sites. I was pretty unaware that Clover was your friend, assuming you're talking about Insane Bubblegum. I shall have to look around for more old members during the summer; I'll have so much time on hoof it'd be a waste not to.

But if you guys were nerds, you were the BEST nerds out there, right?