Tales Mania

Author Topic: Dragonball Z Abridged  (Read 1851 times)

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Dragonball Z Abridged
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:55:03 pm »
Talk about anything Dragonball Z Abridged related in here.

One very awesome show. I have been a huge fan of Dragonball and Dragonball Z for a few years now, mostly because a lot of ideas in video games originated from those manga books and shows. Ideas that I can use in my own games. Sadly nothing new is coming out from the official Dragonball owners.

At the current time however, the fan-made Dragonball Z Abridged from Team Four Star is really a blast to watch! They are almost done with 3 full seasons, and I enjoy every episode! If you haven't seen it yet (but you probably have), check their Youtube channel for episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsvazPPlhZlch0-Z3wPByeg

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
Re: Dragonball Z Abridged
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:21:20 pm »
It really is hilarious!! Especially if you've seen the actual show, of course. I had never seen any of the Dragonball series when I first started watching the Abridged episodes, but it intrigued me enough to start watching Dragonball Z. Then it just became SO much funnier! The actual show is far too serious and the fights last far too long for me, but Abridged is genius! XD

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:23:38 pm »
I watched a bit in the past, and it didn't pique my interest, but now I must give it another watch. It's the most popular abridged series for a reason, I suppose!

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:31:33 pm »
I watched a bit in the past, and it didn't pique my interest, but now I must give it another watch. It's the most popular abridged series for a reason, I suppose!
Once you get past the episodes with bad microphone quality, you can really start enjoying their characters. My favs characters are Krillin and then Vegeta.
BUT I do recommend actually watching the original Dragonball Z, or the less painful Dragonball Z Kai before watching Abridged :)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:36:13 pm »
I shall add DragonBall Z Kai to my long list of things I must watch, then! 8) Thanks!

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:40:32 pm »
I shall add DragonBall Z Kai to my long list of things I must watch, then! 8) Thanks!
Yea, I watched Dragonball Z Kai with Teddy (her first time seeing DBZ), just for the reason that it doesn't include fillers (when the manga was being written, the TV series had to make up story to wait for the real one, and some of the fillers being awful), so it is shorter and less painful, but still includes everything needed by the true story :)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:05:23 pm »
*nods* Okay, got it. Good to know.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 01:46:22 am »
Grew up watching the show (and Dragon Ball) on Toonimai, then fell out of it, then I've recently gotten back into it within the past year or two in part thanks to the Abridged series. Also started my own novel length fanfic on the series, so there's that.

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:21 pm »
That's cool, Bob-dude! I feel like I really missed out only discovering DBZ in the past year. While I don't care for the 50+ episodes of the same fight being drug out, it does have some really interesting characters for sure. I'm kind of partial to Vegeta, which I guess just demonstrates further that I'm always attracted to the bad boys...lol! (Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to hide that last comment from mlptfan? o.O)

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:26:15 pm »
Trust me, the fights in the Buu saga in the anime at MUCH better than those in the manga, Cell arc also has some good stuff as wel (17 and Piccolo's fight is so intense a volcano explodes!)l. Dragon Ball Kai eliminates at least half of the episode count filler wise, so pacing wise you might want to catch that on dvd or online if you have the time, plus it has a more accurate script if you care about the sort of thing (oh, and original Japanese music score but I've always liked the Falucore score better so that's not much of a plus for me personally). Really, the big one I can think of that has the 50+ episodes dedicated to a single fight would be the Namke saga, and that's pretty damn long in the manga as well.

As for Vegeta, like his character well enough but find the "Leather Pantsing" of his character by parts of the fandom to be... odd. Then again I'm a earnest non Tumblr nice guy so I'm not exactly unbiased here.

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 06:21:00 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "Leather Pantsing", but I'm positive I don't want to know. ;)

While I can appreciate some aspects of DBZ (I've only seen Kai, actually), I'm more of a Dragonball kind of girl I guess. DBZ is a bit too violent for my taste. My favorite parts are the few episodes between the big fights.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:21:28 pm »
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants For your education. And I have to admit as much as I like the fights, some of the filler stuff is pretty amusing (Hello driving episode!).

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 10:46:30 pm »
Never could get into DB myself, and I won't even lie about the reason - I hate the artwork. I've tried, but watching something so aesthetically unappealing to me just didn't last, sadly. I have a feeling I'd be a Vegeta girl though if I did watch it!

Teddy - did you ever mention watching this on LJ? Flicker would be so proud hearing you like Vegeta! He's her absolute favourite. :)

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 03:07:04 pm »
Never could get into DB myself, and I won't even lie about the reason - I hate the artwork. I've tried, but watching something so aesthetically unappealing to me just didn't last, sadly.

Holy gawd, don't let mlptfan hear you say that!! >.< lol!

I have a feeling I'd be a Vegeta girl though if I did watch it!

Teddy - did you ever mention watching this on LJ? Flicker would be so proud hearing you like Vegeta! He's her absolute favourite. :)

No, I've never mentioned it on LJ. I only just started watching it in the past 5 months or so. I had no idea Flick was into DB! But yes, I think you'd be a Vegeta girl, too. >;}

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:15 pm »
Never could get into DB myself, and I won't even lie about the reason - I hate the artwork. I've tried, but watching something so aesthetically unappealing to me just didn't last, sadly. I have a feeling I'd be a Vegeta girl though if I did watch it!
Hi there Kat.
The art style of DB was very crappy in the beginning. Being simple quick drawings. I never cared much for that style at all. However, no matter how bad the art/style was at that time, the show has always impressed me in its presentation, such as being the first or the coolest or the cutest. It is not until the Ginyu Force appears (in DBZ) that that characters get what I call, a perfect look. No matter what angle a character is facing, it is a perfect angle! The show is a little bit after the manga when it comes to the design, so the show still looks a little bad at that point.

Today, looking at the DBZ games (like Dragonball Heroes arcade games and cards), the style is crazy good. It is at the peak, untouchable!

I have a huge problem finding an art style that could defeat DBZ. Feel free to show something that is better ;P