Tales Mania

Author Topic: Dragonball Z Abridged  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonball Z Abridged
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:54:46 pm »
Never could get into DB myself, and I won't even lie about the reason - I hate the artwork. I've tried, but watching something so aesthetically unappealing to me just didn't last, sadly. I have a feeling I'd be a Vegeta girl though if I did watch it!
Hi there Kat.
The art style of DB was very crappy in the beginning. Being simple quick drawings. I never cared much for that style at all. However, no matter how bad the art/style was at that time, the show has always impressed me in its presentation, such as being the first or the coolest or the cutest. It is not until the Ginyu Force appears (in DBZ) that that characters get what I call, a perfect look. No matter what angle a character is facing, it is a perfect angle! The show is a little bit after the manga when it comes to the design, so the show still looks a little bad at that point.

Today, looking at the DBZ games (like Dragonball Heroes arcade games and cards), the style is crazy good. It is at the peak, untouchable!

I have a huge problem finding an art style that could defeat DBZ. Feel free to show something that is better ;P

I do agree with you that the earlier episodes definitely don't look anywhere near as good as the later - not saying the style itself in later versions is bad, and I trust your judgement that it's very well drawn and thought out. It's just not appealing to me - I don't like the look of the characters/world. Personally I'll watch something with character designs I love (but with actual animation that leaves a little something to be desired) rather than something with character designs I dislike (but whose animation is flawless). Hence my obsession with Tales, haha! ;)

As far as anime goes I'm also just more into actual human-based shows. My absolute all time favourite is Whistle! (Not surprising really since it's about boys playing soccer!) It has character designs that I'm in love with (Shige is pretty much a human version of Ace, physically, with some of his attitude; while Tatsuya has more of Ace's drive and determination regarding the sport - and a crazy overbearing father, which I like to give Ace some times). The animation can get rather sketchy at some points, but I'll overlook that because of the initial character designs. :)

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 12:23:29 am »
Interestingly enough, I have to disagree on the early artstyle, at least at the 21st world tournament (around chapter 30 or so in the managa) the art looks wonderfully crisp to my eyes. Compare Toyarima's early dragon ball artwork to say,the early artwork of kinnikuman (or as the sequel series was known in the West, Ultimate Muscle) and there's a world a difference. Granted, Toyraimia did have Dr. Slump under his belt at the time so the comparison isn't the fairest to make in the first place, but still.

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 06:20:49 pm »
21st world tournament... the art looks wonderfully crisp to my eyes...
The arms and legs are short and approximated shapes. Goko's hair size is changing somewhat. And there is no attention to face details rather than basic emotions. It is clean in that way. And of course the fighting is awesome and some of the jokes are (for the first time) funny. And I love the tournaments. But still, I would rather see a new version with the newest art style, rather than the old, if it was remade.

Personally I'll watch something with character designs I love (but with actual animation that leaves a little something to be desired) rather than something with character designs I dislike (but whose animation is flawless)...
I agree :)