Tales Mania

Author Topic: Fan favorite episodes  (Read 2822 times)

Offline acehoneycomb

• View Profile
Fan favorite episodes
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:00:48 am »
As I've been going around the Tales fandom for the past 2 years, I've noticed some episodes are fan favorites, such as The Masquerade, Stand By Me, and (strangely) Just for Kicks, while I've yet to see The Play's the Thing, Gribet, or (understandably) Blue Ribbon Blues on someone's favorite list. Anyone else know any of these?

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: Fan favorite episodes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:43:58 am »
Yeah, I've noticed. But I'm pretty sure it's just me and bobdude on the Masquerade bandwagon. But it depends on the type of viewer you are, really.

I personally LOVED The Play's the Thing and Gribet, and Corny was at least loveable, but it's true that there isn't much discussion on any of the episodes.

But there is markedly more discussion involved with the bro ponies than the girls, which I find depressing. Episodes with the fandom waifu, Teddy, are way more discussed then other episode that I feel are better, such as Who's Responsible, Out of Luck... heck, even SLUMBER PARTY, which I felt was quite dull. Up, Up and Away has very little discussion, with only the last scene being the one to convince people to type stuff.

But there's a lot more discussion on the characters than episodes. That's a better way for the fans of a 22 year old show to discuss it simply because it was a character oriented series, and discussing episodes too much will bring about a severe bout of depression, at least for me, because there aren't any more.

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 11:29:25 am »
Well I know I've always been partial to the Teddy-centric episodes of course (like "Blue Ribbon Blues", "Stand by Me", and "Bon Bon's Diary"). But I do love "Too Sick to Notice" since it develops Bon Bon's family life a little more and "Gribet" is adorable with probably my favorite Tales song in it. "Just for Kicks" is one of the best episodes in my opinion, too. I think I just like all the drama. lol!

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:48:45 am »
Too Sick to notice also had Bon Bon's more mischievous side that we'd have never seen otherwise. "Orange juice? ...I've changed my mind. I think I'd prefer... apple juice."

But my favorite's her mom, thanks to Masquerade. She's awesome.

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:47:00 pm »
Tales fandom...
Is there a Tales fandom? Well, if there are some cool people, feel free to invite them here ;)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:58:53 pm »
Of course; there's always been one. A fandom is just a group of fans, and if fanfiction exists, then there is a tiny fandom. If fan-art exists, chances are there's a fandom. These forums just hammer the point home.

The Schoolhouse is accumulating members like the wind, though, and there are STILL some who I've seen on other sites, commenting on and writing stories. We're small, but a strong little group, to be sure.

Offline Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:44:02 am »
I still have a few episodes to rewatch, but Battle of the Bands and And the Winner Is... are my favorites at the moment.

Melody's my favorite pony, so I always smile when she showed up. I'm not the biggest fan of Clover, but I just like that episode for some reason.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:46:40 am »
Melody is a fun character. The rare type of girl who is a bit shallow at times, but still cares a whole lot about music and her friends. My favorite is Patch, followed by Bon Bon then Melody, but who couldn't love them all?

EDIT: Whoa, 100 posts already! 80

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:33:53 pm »
Melody and Patch are my least favorite characters. I just don't like Melody's shallow nature and stuck-up attitude. And Patch I just find kind of boring for some reason. But this is just my opinion! Teddy, Sweetheart, and Bon Bon are my favs, but I'm also partial to Clover and her adorable clumsiness. Bright Eyes is the one who I'm actually most like, though. And Starlight's one of those classic over-achiever types, but eh. It works for her.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:54:40 pm »
Yeah... our tastes are different as can be, Teddy. I'm not a huge fan of Teddy T. myself (BLASPHEMY). And out of the main girls, I don't know who my least favorite is between Sweetheart, Starlight and Bright Eyes.

And I'm more of the Starlight type myself in real life; the type who talks to their elders for advice and is, generally, well-rounded. Though she didn't have much in archetypes, I ADORED how her character was handled in An Apple for Starlight, where her many strengths aren't enough. But I do have a penchant for humor as of late.

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:52 pm »
Yeah... our tastes are different as can be, Teddy. I'm not a huge fan of Teddy T. myself (BLASPHEMY). And out of the main girls, I don't know who my least favorite is between Sweetheart, Starlight and Bright Eyes.

I only had a minor twitch there. I just have to keep on repeating to myself that Teddy is not for everyone. lol!

Offline Kat

• #1 Ace fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 10:49:47 pm »
I only had a minor twitch there. I just have to keep on repeating to myself that Teddy is not for everyone. lol!

Probably why you and I bonded so much at the beginning! We both loved the guys that most people hated. ;)

Obviously my favourite is Ace - he's been my one constant over the years!

Originally when I first watched, my favourite girl was Starlight, followed by Melody. I didn't care for Brighteyes and Patch all that much.

However over the years, Melody slowly took over as my favourite girl. Star's still second, but I now consider Patch my third fav and Brighteyes is actually very close behind her. I like BB, but she's never been a front-runner for my affection (and I only really like her to pair with Teddy, otherwise I don't use her as much). I used to loathe Sweetheart for a while, but now she doesn't bother me so much.

Now it's Clover that I cannot stand. At all. Her character just really irritates me. She's definitely my most under-used Tales character. The only time I ever really liked her was when I aged the kids to teenagers and had her rebel against her mother's constant comparisons to Meadowlark (Clover ended up changing dance styles out of ballet and went all modern/contemporary on me). Basically when I was always watching So You Think You Can Dance! I saw a lot of my older Clover in some of those girls. :)

But on the show - yeah I just can't stand her. I find myself rolling my eyes any time I hear her speak. ;)

As for episodes - I tend to like the ones that are mostly unpopular with the rest of you!

Shop Talk - I really don't care how OOC everyone's behaviour is in this episode. I LOVE the boys teasing Teddy, and I love the girls being total gossips at the beginning. Plus I still think it has Ace's best line ever - You're tickling my teddy bear! Love love love. (Third favourite Tales song for me is from this episode!)

Blue Ribbon Blues - Yorkie is the most fabulous pig in the history of pigs. So sassy. Plus Teddy's slightly psychopathic laughter when he scares Yorkie away slays me every time I watch it! And of course it has my favourite Tales song - Harvest Time!

Stand By Me - I know everyone says this episode has a bad message, but I kind of disagree to an extent. If he had asked her on a date at the end, then sure, maybe. But he doesn't, and she doesn't really change herself anyway at the end - she just starts playing a sport (which is good anyway because it promotes athletic activity). Like I'm sure I've said before, the comics handle her crush better than the show. Anyway, I just love the episode because Ace is a snotty little brat, and I love my bratty characters. ♥

The Play's The Thing - I like this one more now than I used to, due to my bourgeoning love for Melody (and liking brats). Plus it has my second favourite Tales song! really I think the three songs I've mentioned are pretty much the only Tales songs I really love...

Anyway I also love anything else that has the boys. Especially Ace. ;)

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 11:10:05 pm »
Actually Kat, I agree with you on the so called 'unpopular' Tales episode. While the blackmail stuff in Shop Talk is... odd moral wise, I still liked it okay myself. Stand by me, well, read my reviews at some point and I think you'll be pleasently surprised  ;) Plays the thing: Love it just for the Shakespony play: Princesses killing dragons with magic swords and saving their princes and kingdoms for the win! (and Melody is pretty good in it as well I guess ::) ) Havent gotten to reviewing Blue Ribbon Blues, though I do like the song of the episode ( I say that about all the songs but still) and the change in setting is a welcomed change of pace if nothing else.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 11:40:06 pm »
Sorry for making you twitch! I mean, Teddy has potential, but I wasn't a huge fan of how the writers employed him, you know? Maybe he was nice deep down, but he never really got any consequences for being a jerk to the others (mainly the girls). Also, he totally threw off the theme song. Remember how all the ponies were doing things they liked to do? Starlight grooming, Melody playing music, Clover dancing? Well, Sweetheart wasn't obsessing over Teddy, so...

But really, the backgrounds were nice in Blue Ribbon Blues, and I loved Corny and Yorkie. I can say that it beats Up, Up and Away in backgrounds, Cornyness and Yorkieness. But I am not a huge fan of several things in the episode. Shop Talk had its share of moments, too (tickling my teddy bear, Patch's being a mean little sucker) and a great song. Just for Kicks had classic Ace and some great OTP moments.

And I've always adored Play's the Thing. There was one part that had my eyebrow raising, but that was a funny episode, especially thanks to the roles the characters played! Especially Patch as the prince. I always laugh when I see those parts. It's also great analytical material.

And I look forward to your upcoming thoughts, Bob-dude! While I am not huge on morals in fiction, I wasn't a huge fan of out-of-character stuff that was present in some of the episodes. Blue Ribbon Blues was creative with backgrounds; it was better than the sky, sky and more sky in Up Up and Away, though I preferred the characterization in the later, and for some reason I love the little implications of dark stuff they throw in every other episode, like Up Up and Away.

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »
Just for Kicks and Bon Bon's Diary are the episodes that stand out to me. Maybe because they were the first that aired on TV over here. They feel like typical school drama to me (me being caught up in such drama, but on the good side of it). But Battle of the Bands is my all time favorite. Maybe because all all those episodes kinda happened to me during my school years. Replace Battle of the Bands music contest with Jeopardy! Junior, hehe. And out school (class) won! ;D