Tales Mania

Author Topic: Fan favorite episodes  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Notes

• View Profile
Re: Fan favorite episodes
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 03:28:08 pm »
Wow, cool! Of course, Slumber Party was first here, in the U.S. Or so Wikipedia tells me...

Aww, LUCKEEE! I've never had any Tales episodes happen to me! Nope; no missing diaries, no crushes on myself, no walks in the woods, no trips to a farm, no gossip times... IT STINKS. But that is SO cool, mlptfan. The closest thing I've been in was a spelling bee, and I didn't know whether the girl said 'page' or 'patch' when she was saying the word I was supposed to spell, then she didn't want to repeat herself. Aiyah! DX My life can be so boring...

Offline mlptfan

• Administrator
  • Starlight is not amused.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 04:38:25 pm »
Wow, cool! Of course, Slumber Party was first here, in the U.S. Or so Wikipedia tells me...

Aww, LUCKEEE! I've never had any Tales episodes happen to me! Nope; no missing diaries, no crushes on myself, no walks in the woods, no trips to a farm, no gossip times... IT STINKS. But that is SO cool, mlptfan. The closest thing I've been in was a spelling bee, and I didn't know whether the girl said 'page' or 'patch' when she was saying the word I was supposed to spell, then she didn't want to repeat herself. Aiyah! DX My life can be so boring...
I wonder who wrote the wikipedia info, because there aren't many people around that actually knew these stuff or watched the show.

Yea, my school years were pretty wild. Our class had the top athletes (for our age and area). There were 27 unique people in our class. I was lucky to befriend the cool kids early, because later other people got unlucky.

We had Tales dubbed in Swedish. Pretty bad, with like 2 voice actors (one guy and one girl). Clearly, when I was young, I didn't know English. When I re-discovered Tales in 2008, I was really impressed with the voice acting of the U.S.! The quality of the "original" cannot be beaten, and shouldn't!

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 04:45:18 pm »
Yeah, me too. I wasn't even conceived of back then, but I admit that Slumber Party and Too Sick to Notice at least have that first-episode feel. Your school years sound awesome! )80 I'm living them now and, though I've got friends, I don't do much...!

Yeah, I saw some Swedish dubbed episodes on YouTube from your channel. I wish I knew the differences in dialogue between the two languages and Finnish. I know that, in one Tales dub, Bon Bon told Patch that she was going to take her jellybeans not because she didn't want them, but because she was a princess and had to stay slim. But the voice acting in the English version is better, in my opinion. I LOVE them all.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 05:07:15 pm »
Being someone's whose only language is English itself, I have to say that for the age that the Ocean Group's cast was at when they did Tales, they did a pretty solid effort at it. Certainly helps that most of them were around the (vuage) age as the ponies.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 05:16:59 pm »
Anywhere from fourteen to eighteen, with Bon Bon's the youngest and Clover's the oldest. Patch's second actor, though, was in her thirties at the time.

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »
Personally, I think I liked Venus over Dau for the role of Patch, but I'd have to sit down and listen closely to the two before I draw any concrete conclusions.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 05:58:13 pm »
Yeah. Princess Problems was a beautiful episode with voice acting. Think Just for Kicks vs. Princess Problems. But Up Up and Away was one of Patch's best, and I think that one was Dau's first (the episode change point was 17-26 for Dau).

Offline Teddy

• Administrator
  • Too cool for school.
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 06:47:09 pm »
Wait, wait, wait....there were two different voice actors for Patch?? o.O

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 06:52:47 pm »
Yeah... Venus Terzo until Up Up and Away and Brigitta Dau for the rest. O-o You HAVEN'T watched Tales in a long time; there is quite a difference.

Offline Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 08:11:53 pm »
On a technical level the acting isn't perfect, but all the actors being around the target age gives it a genuinness that wouldn't have been achieved otherwise. It's part of the wonderfully hokey 90sness charm that is Tales.

I think Slumber Party was the first made at least. It's subtle, but the character voices are a little rougher in that one. Which makes Venus's work more impressive, especially the story section where she did decent voices for that faux spooky feel at a campfire.

That, and it's amusing to think Patch and Dazzle are the same actress. Bit of trivia, she's almost doing a G3 Rainbow Dash impression, just with a more pronounced English accent while dropping the phony pony Cockney and giving her a bit of a sultry tone.

And it's endlessly amusing Ace is Light Yagami 16 years later.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
Word. (3

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 09:27:00 pm »
I'd like to think that Dazzle only does the accent for the cameras and talks normal when not on set, much to the shock and surprise of Melody, Patch would think it's awesome how she and Dazzle sound so much alike.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 09:35:13 pm »
That would be pretty funny. Then Patch would pretend to be a celebrity to test Melody. That's be GLORIOUS! Speaking of, what IS Dazzle's accent, anyway?

Offline Bob-dude

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 09:43:02 pm »
Dazzle has a pony Cockney accent, hence my comment on it being faked for PTV. G3 Dash has a much stronger (and dare I say... Dashing?) British accent. You just know if there was a multi Gen crossover Melody would ask why G3 Dash sounds so much like Dazzle.

Offline Notes

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 09:46:30 pm »
Oh yes! Now I could put in a random gag in TCAT without being ignorant about it!